Subject: Re: netscape (binary package)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/09/1999 19:08:57
On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Sat, January 9, 1999 at 21:18:37 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: netscape (binary package)
> >
> > Note that while the SunOS version should probably choose netscape_dns by
> > default, it shouldn't `nuke' the NIS version of netscape.
>
> I don't see any reason to keep the NIS version (especially given its
> gargantuan size!  ;-).
>
> My reasoning is that if a NetBSD/sparc machine is really using NIS to
> resolve hostnames then it will be doing so via /etc/resolv.conf (with
> "lookup yp"), and though this imposes an extra level of function calls,
> this seems to be the NetBSD way of doing things.
>
> Nothing is lost by deleting the NIS version.

	I wish that was the case. If you're running a SunOS executable,
	you're using SunOS resolver libraries, which have the same
	limitations as if you were running under SunOS - hence only
	options understood under SunOS will have any affect.

	"Native code good. Emulated binaries bad. Neither - much worse" :)

		David/absolute

                  -=-  Trust is a non-renewable resource  -=-