Subject: Re: The X Files [was: Re: use of share vs lib]
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/04/1998 16:41:12
On 04-Aug-98 Brook Milligan spoke unto us all:
#  In any case, if one really needs to redirect these config files (e.g.,
#  to customized scripts) it is simple enough to do so as outlined
#  above.  It just seems to me that this will be the rare case and should
#  not dictate general policy.  Perhaps customizing these scripts is more
#  common than I realize, though.

I think it is.. I've had this exact problem and have had to solve it with nasty
kludges. One fine example of why you need all machines with different versions
is a cluster of workstations running xdm and chooser that all run X -broadcast
so they can each log in directly to any machine on the cluster. (including
headless boxes)

And yes.. this is how I use it on a few machines, and my life would be so much
easier if it just worked out of the box like this. (easy to config)

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html