Re: Retiring dhclient

On Apr 7, 11:45am, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
}
} I would like to retire dhclient before netbsd-6. I don't think it

     Why?  I have a moderately complex setup and know how to use it.  I
don't know dhcpcd.  Obviously I could learn it, but that's not the
point.  If you remove dhclient, we will still have ISC's dhcpd and
dhcrelay.  This means removing dhclient won't provide a significant
savings in build time, code size, or maintenance.  What is the
advantage to TNF that would offset the disadvantage to me and all the
other users of dhclient.  In other words, what is the advantage to TNF
of forcing a change on a bunch of users?  If you can't demonstrate a
significant advantage, then I would suggest that you shouldn't do
this.  Stuff should only be removed when keeping it causes significant
pain.  I don't see that as the case here.

} provides a functional advantage over dhcpcd. The reverse is not true.

     Don't care.  dhclient does what I need it to do.

}-- End of excerpt from Joerg Sonnenberger