Re: Anti-Spoofing

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 05:08:59PM +0200, Edgar Fuß wrote:
> I was thinking about how to catch spoofed datagrams that pretend
> to originate from my own address.
>
> How does the kernel deal with datagrams arriving on the wire (or
> on a VLAN) that have my own IP as the originating IP?

at the driver level and higher: in regular operation, it sees all multicast
and broadcast originating from itself. If the hardware is SIMPLEX, that is,
it can't hear itself, the driver emulates this in software (for known
protocols, like IP, that depend on this).

See <net/if.h>:

#define IFF_SIMPLEX     0x0800          /* can't hear own transmissions */

and lines in ethersubr, tokensubr, fddisubr, etc. that match

In your filter rules, you would at least need to add exceptions for
multicast packets.

Regards,
        -is