Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Wifi Browser / Kismet clone
To: oliver gould <ogould@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/22/2006 13:24:45
--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:45:59PM -0400, oliver gould wrote:
> The Wifi Browser / Kismet clone piqued my interest, in particular.

<my_opinion>

I would prefer some one put the little bit of effort into getting
Kismet working on NetBSD rather than reinventing this.

However, a simple way to capture 802.11 frames to a pcap file would
be a useful tool, and more in the spirit of what I consider Unix-like.

A kismet clone in the regular source tree (i.e. not the othersrc
or pkgsrc module) is not something I really don't want to see for
NetBSD, at least not without syspkgs in place.  (I recently got a
VAX, so now I care about bloat.)

I'm perfectly fine with using wlanctl or the old wiconfig <if> -D for
finding networks.

Also, I don't think recreating BSD-licensed versions of non-essential
auxiliary software should be a priority of NetBSD.  But I don't get to=20
make these decisions. :(

</my_opinion>

	Jonathan Kollasch

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5