Subject: Re: tackling 802.11 features
To: None <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/18/2002 10:23:26
> If no one is already working on these, I will tackle these in order:

I'm not working on any of these, and I hope to see your code committed.

> 1 Tcpdump outputs (with RSSI, etc.) for the Prism DLT, *maybe* for
>   Aironet.

I'd like to rewrite aironet driver to use common support routines just
as wi driver.  But I have no idea how to support monitor mode which may be
useful with modified tcpdump.  Perhaps assign new mediaopt, e.g. 'monitor'?

> 2 Shared-key authentication for 802.11.

I believe using shared-key authentication is a bad idea since it just
reply encrypted challange text with static key.  It would be a great
hint for crackers that providing both clear text and encrypted text
with static key.
But I agree we are sometimes forced to use the scheme by admins.

> 3 Power-save polling.

I'm sorry I've rudely put away ifdef'ed power-saving stuffs in wi driver.
I don't have enough knowledge about power-saving, so I'm looking forward to
them back into the tree.

Atsushi Onoe