Subject: racoon interoperability
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Hendra Widarta <hwidarta@yahoo.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/20/2002 09:22:57
Hi,

I've made IPSec interoperability test.
Wish this information can be useful for us,
especially for racoon users.
My PC runs NetBSD1.5.2 (i386) + racoon-20011215a

BTW, I don't understand why NULL encryption fail to interoperate
with other devices; although phase-1/phase-2 done and SA
established. Tcpdump receives ESP protocol at WAN interface,
but no packet for LAN interface.
From sonicwall log, it shows...
"phase-1 & phase-2 done; ipsec Authentication failed"
Somebody knows? Any suggestions?

thanks,
hendra

===========
Tunnel mode, ESP
phase1: main mode + dh1 + DES + MD5 + PSK
phase2: NoPFS

vs. NetScreen-100
	NULL+MD5 : fail
	DES+MD5	 : pass
	DES+SHA1 : pass
	3DES+MD5 : pass
	3DES+SHA1: pass

vs. NetScreen-204
	NULL+MD5 : fail
	DES+MD5	 : pass
	3DES+MD5 : pass
	3DES+SHA1: pass

vs. SonicWall Pro300
	NULL+MD5 : fail
	DES+MD5	 : pass
	3DES+MD5 : pass
	3DES+SHA1: pass

vs. RapidStream 6000
	NULL+MD5 : fail
	DES+MD5	 : pass
	3DES+MD5 : pass
	3DES+SHA1: pass

vs. Intrusion PDS5515 (CheckPoint VPN-1 & Firewall-1 NG)
	NULL+MD5 : fail
	DES+MD5	 : pass
	DES+SHA1 : pass

vs. Cisco PIX525 (v6.1)
	NULL+MD5 : fail
	DES+MD5	 : pass
	DES+SHA1 : fail

Note:
a) pass: ping & ftp service
b) 3DES is disabled (Intrusion and Cisco PIX)