Subject: VLAN and netstart
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/03/2001 12:11:29
There are a few annoying issues that I'm not certain how to fix
regarding ipf, vlan, and netstart.

I used to have two interfaces, fxp0 and fxp1.  Since these were
hardware interfaces, ipf could add rules to them before they were
ifconfig'd up.

That is, this is the order things happen:

        ipf is brought up
                rules for fxp0 and fxp1 are installed

        fxp0 is configured up

        fxp1 is configured up

Now, I have one interface and two VLANs on it.  The question is, where
do I put the "ifconfig vlan1 create", "ifconfig vlan1 vlan 1 vlanif fxp0",
and the actual "ifconfig vlan1 inet ..." statements?

Even if I put them in /etc/ifconfig.vlan1, in which I don't think
multiline configurations are supported, ipf won't properly configure
itself because at the time it is run, vlan1 doesn't exist.

Perhaps a file called /etc/ifcreate.conf, would be useful?

        vlan1 create
        vlan1 vlan 1 vlanif fxp0
        vlan2 create
        vlan2 vlan 2 vlanif fxp0

This file would be run with "ifconfig $line" just before the ipf step.
Or maybe it would be more useful to just make it a shell script?

--Michael