Subject: Re: getaddrinfo
To: Atsushi Onoe <onoe@sm.sony.co.jp>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/10/2000 12:29:18
>> 	getaddrinfo cannot figure out what socktype to use when you give
>> 	numeric service to it.  (when you give names, it can guess from
>> 	/etc/services)
>Since 'hints' argument is provided to note libraries what type of socket
>the caller supports, no hints should be interpreted as all possible results.

	I don't understand what you mean in the above.  give me a concrete
	example (I mean, code).

>For numeric service arguments, there are some options:
>	1. return lists of all scoktype which has 'port'.
>	2. return lists of socktype only defined in services.
>		e.g. by getservbyport()
>	3. return error [current implementation]
>I prefer 1. since it is the only way for applications to be protocol
>independent without modifying service databases, which usually requires
>priviledges.

	there was very long discussions in ipngwg, which we had rough consenssu
	on it (3. is the consensus).  an email from Dave Borman (of bsdi)
	summarizes the issue the bets.  I do not want to repeat it here.
	we can't change externally-defined specification anyways.

itojun