GSoC application

About the project:

* What is the goal of the project?

- The goal is to create an algorithm that automatically creates swap on memory pressure.

* What will be the deliverables of the project?

- I will keep track of the project in the form of documentation so it can further be refined in the official manual.

  The project will deliver the algorithm for creating, resizing, and deleting swap files.

* Give an overview of how you intend to reach the project's goal in the form of milestones and a schedule.

- For my schedule I will be unable to get a lot of work done until the beginning of July because of my exams.

  As for the milestones, the first goals are:

  1. Determining the threshold when the swapping starts

  2. Creating the swap files and deciding which disk to place the file on

  3. Implementing the algorithm for expanding or shrinking the swap file

  4. Deleting the swap file when it is no longer needed

  5. Optimizing the algorithm (if it isn't fast or efficient enough)

  6. Fixing any miscellaneous bugs

* Is similar software already available elsewhere?

- It is present in the Linux kernel.

* Is the project a port of software, or a rewrite?

- It will have to be a rewrite.

About your project and NetBSD:

* Have you installed NetBSD and made first experiences with hands-on configuration?

- I have downloaded it and set it up on a VM.

* Have you found the relevant places that your project is based on in the source code, and read through it?

- I've familiarized myself with the sys/kern/ section, to be more specific the section for memory allocation and the uvm_swap.c file to see how swapping is implemented in the kernel.

* How will your project integrate into NetBSD?

- I will primarily integrate the project through the kernel subsystem.

* What interfaces in NetBSD will your project use?

- I can't say for certain at this time. This will have to be further discussed with my mentor.

* To what degree are you familiar with those interfaces?

- I've only read into the source code to familiarize myself with it.

About you:

* Can you list some prior projects that you have worked on so far?

- As university project I've made a kernel from scratch for the RISC-V processor architecture and also modified the xv6 kernel to support swapping and detection and prevention of thrashing.

  These were solo projects for my classes that were written in C, C++ and Assembly, so I have a decent amount of experience in them.

* Do you have any prior experience with programming NetBSD?

- This is my first time working on NetBSD but I've familiarized myself enough to feel comfortable enough to write in it.

* Have you previously discussed your project within NetBSD, either on a mailing list or with some specific developers?

- I've never contacted NetBSD before.

* How do we contact you?

- The easiest way is with this email Filipovic.Luka.793%gmail.com@localhost

* Is there anything else you'd like us to know?

- I'd once again like to point out because of my university and its exams I won't be able to get a lot of work done until the beginning of July.

Thank you for reading my application and I'm looking forward to working with you.

Sent from Mail for Windows