Re: Finding an available fss device

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 11:56:45AM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Unless I misunderstand fss(4), this is an abuse of mutex(9): nothing
> should sleep while holding the lock, so that nothing trying to acquire
> the lock will wait for a long time.

Well, the cause is not yet completely clear to me, but the user
experience is terrible. The first time I used it, I thought
the system crashed, because fssconfig -l was just hung for
hours.

And it is very easy to acheive a situation where most processes
are in tstile awaiting a vnode lock for a name lookup.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost