Re: freebsd 5.99.41 as XEN3_DOMU

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 20:54:26 +0100
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> Well, in the current state,Âmodules are a not enabled in the Xen kernels
> (modules should be built specifically for Xen, but the build tools do not
> allow this right now). So you have to compile all what you need in a
> monolitic kernel. But ZFS is only available as module, so unfortunably
> this means no ZFS for xen.
> One way around it is to run NetBSD in a HVM guest.

It it common for modules not to be able to be statically linked in a
monolithic kernel?  I understand providing ZFS as a module is
convenient for licensing reasons, but probably that it shouldn't be too
hard to somehow optionally link such a module to a kernel image at
build time, and call an init/load hook at boot runtime?

I tend to think that other than allowing to optionally dynamically load
code, another advantage to modules would probably be that they also can
optionally be included monolitically, with ideally no code changes...

Thanks,
--
Matt