Re: get rid of MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT?

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 09:39:51PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Since md(4) is a first-class device now, it should be
> possible to remove more of the special hacks to make
> it the root device. After all, there is the "root on"
> config(8) directive which should control this.

config(1).  I'm hopeful, it will get through one day :-)

> The "root on" doesn't issue cpp definitions afaict,
> so one couldn't do compile-time decisions based on the
> root-nedd of md.
> For me, this looks OK, but I've only tested an INSTALL
> kernel, with the appended patch. There are likely
> other uses; in particular I didn't try to load a ramdisk
> as module yet. I don't see why it shouldn't work.
> Comments?

I don't think this gives us anything save for one less line in the
INSTALL kernel config;  a line unlikely to be touched anyway.

I don't think there should be a compile-time decision about whether or
not the embedded ramdisk should be used or not.

Why not getting rid of md_attach_hook and use the configured ram disk
for the first read of an unconfigured md(4)?  Doing it in mdopen might
be an issue if you want to configure a new md and leave the ramdisk
data untouched.  So it might be read or getdisklabel or something, so
that it happens when the root file-system is being searched.

The advantage of that is that you can embed a root file-system in your
kernel but only boot it when you do "boot md0a:netbsd" at the boot
prompt.  It also leaves the door open to having a ramdisk containing
modules and the like (granted, all of this lacks a facility to free the
ramdisk if needed).

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost