re: DRM and VIA Chipset

Hello,

>    Well... I'm not sure DRM is the solution to my problem.
>    That box is supposed to play my ripped DVD (cartoons for my daughter in
>    fact) from a NFS share onto my CRT TV. The thing is I'm trying to get
>    the best results and so DRM/DRI might help make use of the video
>    card rather than the (poor) 1GHz VIA C3. It has modular-xorg, freevo
> and
>    mplayer installed.
>
> you want "mplayer -vo xv" to work.  in the past i've also
> had "mplayer -vo sdl:xv" work when plain "xv" does not.

This one does not seem to work :-(

# DISPLAY=:0.0 mplayer -vo sdl:xv -dvd-device ...
<snip>
Could not parse arguments at the position indicated below:
xv
^
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
<snip>

> DRI/DRM is not useful for playing movie files.

It seems Xvmc is not usable when DRI is off, Xorg.0.log says so.
And as far as I understood, this is the hardware stuff for MPEG-2
decompression. Or maybe I'm just wrong(c) ?

With DRM, I can use it:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:(II) VIA(0): [XvMC] Registering viaXvMC.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:(II) VIA(0): [XvMC] Initialized XvMC extension.

Although I'm not sure I'm using it in anyway :-)

This probably look like a mplayer|xorg issue ?
Maybe I should switch to pkgsrc-users@ ?

regards,
   Jo