Subject: Re: new hardware, dmesg question
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/2007 16:12:26
On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 05:46:07PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> I'm evaluating a new hardware, which the manufacture (supermicro)
> has demonstrated to work with the following dmesg. But a few lines
> concern me:
>
> NVIDIA product 0x0369 (RAM memory, revision 0xa2) at pci0 dev 0 function 0 not configured
> pcib0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0
> pcib0: NVIDIA product 0x0364 (rev. 0xa3)
> NVIDIA MCP55 SMBus (SMBus serial bus, revision 0xa3) at pci0 dev 1 function 1 not configured
> NVIDIA product 0x036a (RAM memory, revision 0xa3) at pci0 dev 1 function 2 not configured
> ohci0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: NVIDIA product 0x036c (rev. 0xa1)
> ohci0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 7 (irq 7)
> ohci0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
> usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0 at usb0
> uhub0: NVIDIA OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 10 ports with 10 removable, self powered
> NVIDIA product 0x036d (USB serial bus, interface 0x20, revision 0xa2) at pci0 dev 2 function 1 not configured
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0
> pciide0: NVIDIA MCP55 IDE (rev. 0xa1)
> pciide0: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (no driver support)
> pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
> pciide0: primary channel interrupting at ioapic0 pin 14 (irq 14)
> atabus0 at pciide0 channel 0
>
> wd0 at atabus1 drive 0: <WDC WD2500SD-01KCB0>
> wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
> wd0: 232 GB, 484521 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 488397168 sectors
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
>
> What is actually not supported here, USB, Serial, SATA? It looks
> like "compatibility mode" has the disk working at full speed, but

No, "drive supports" really means what the drive can do, not what the
controller can do. You'd have a line like
wd0(piixide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66) (using DMA)
to know what this combination of hardware can do under NetBSD.
if there's no such line, then NetBSD doesn't know what is really used, which
means it's probably using PIO.
Now it looks like the "NVIDIA MCP55 IDE" is supported by viaide in
current and probably netbsd-4, so it should run at full speed here.
Also, wd0 is attached to atabus1, and from the dmesg fragment you provided
I don't know if it's attached to pciide, or some other IDE controller present
in the system.

> what of USB and serial ports?
serial ports: no problems, the SMbus is not related to serial ports.
USB: it looks like the MCP55 EHCI controller isn't supported yet.
But you have other OHCI controllers in there, which should work.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>