Subject: Re: /dev/ksyms not configured?
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2007 22:22:10
--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 08:49:31PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I'm trying to modload -s a lkm and I'm getting
> modload: /dev/ksyms: Device not configured
>=20
> (I need the symbol table loading for use by another lkm).
>=20
> This is GENERIC 3.1_STABLE with the lkm compiled up against the same=20
> source tree. The same lkm source and NetBSD tree code yields a loadable=
=20
> lkm elsewhere (not tried the same kernel, but GENERIC has "options LKM").
>=20
> I can't see what's different except for this machine is using grub to dua=
l=20
> boot with Linux. I'm doing a kernel load with "kernel --type=3Dnetbsd=20
> /netbsd" (i.e. I have to specify the root device) as chainloading didn't=
=20
> work for me (yet).

You're loading the NetBSD kernel directly with GRUB.  That breaks ksyms,
because GRUB hasn't been taught how to boot a NetBSD kernel posterior to
the 1.4 release (and thus gives bogus information about the layout of
the ELF sections).

You have to chainload the NetBSD bootloader.

The Multiboot stuff works just fine, but AFAIK it's not available on
netbsd-3.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ

--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ--