Subject: Re: ACPI, APM, and Sysmon interaction
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2006 20:02:11
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> Jachym Holecek wrote:
> I think that is the concern.  The GUI tools that monitor battery status
> and such.

If they do this via apm interface then that is because that was the only
API for such things on NetBSD in the past. For instance, I use icewm
window manager which has sometimes had APM battery status in pkgsrc
patches (I think it kept getting lost with new versions) but now is in the
main distribution.

If 'The NetBSD Way' to check battery status changes (and, I think it
should - NetBSD is not only for i386 and battery status is not only via
apm) then packages can and will be updated to use the new API.

What I'm saying is, I dont think it should be a [big] concern.

iain