Subject: raidframe: parity dirty with read-only file systems?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.sechs@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2006 13:58:19
Hi,

due to some problems with external USB disks I had NetBSD/i386 3.0_stable
crashing. In order to reproduce the problem without breaking my file
systems I marked all of them read-only in /etc/fstab.

Every time after the crash happened the parity information of the raid
with mounted (read-only) file systems was "dirty" while parity for the
raid with unmounted file-systems was "clean".

I assume parity can only get "dirty" when data is written to the raid
disks.
How can anything be written to a raid when all the file-systems are
read-only?

ciao
     Klaus