Subject: Re: MI changes & code ownership
To: Cherry G. Mathew <cherry@zyx.in>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2006 22:44:12
On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:14:13PM +0530, Cherry G. Mathew wrote:
> The proposal is to modify MI code in kern_subr.c to pass on the howto
> variable
> which describes whether the shutdown event is a reboot or a shutdown
> (or whatever else). This would
> allow, say the wd driver to decide whether to spin down the hard disk
> before shutting down power
> ( this was the issue that brought up the discussion in the first place.
> )

I don't think we want howto as is here. We want a bitmask that can
express the various bits in howto, and more. For example, I'd like
to have shutdown hooks called 2 times: one from a valid kernel thread
context, so that the callee can tsleep, and one with interrupt blocked
(what we're currently doing). The call in kernel thread context would be
usefull for raidframe, at last. I suspect other mid-layers may want it
too.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>