Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code project ideas
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2006 19:17:44
On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 12:05:05PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> *  Simplify FFS -- Remove the residual geometry code and datastructures
>    from FFS (keep some kind of ?allocation groups? but without most of
>    what cylinder groups now have) and replace blocks and fragments with
>    extents, yielding a much simpler filesystem well suited for modern
>    disks. The result would be useful to many operating systems beyond
>    just NetBSD, since UFS/FFS is used in so many different kernels.

Is there much of that code left?  I think it almost all went when the
FFSv2 code was imported.

The obvious enhancements for FFS are:
- 64bit inode numbers [1]
- allow more than one fs-block for the allocation maps
  (to reduce the number of cylinder groups on large disks)
- include the inode generation number in directory entries [1]
- allow number of inodes per CG to by dynamically increased
  (some fun with a sparse allocation map....)
- multi-level allocation map? and large 'blocks' for big files

[1] Possibly a single 64bit value...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk