Subject: What parts of the NetBSD-kernel are "closed"?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/12/2005 01:51:50
(I'm not sure, where this question exactly belongs to. Basically, it's
about the kernel, so this list seems to be the most appropriate one.)

Hi!

I've just read the 'impassioned' openbsd-misc-discussion between Theo de
Raadt and Scott Long from FreeBSD on the Adaptec-aac-subject, binary
drivers without source and freedom in the broader sense. :)

Theo wrote about ath(4) resp. about the ath_hal, which is AFAIK a
'closed' binary supported by Sam Leffler, who worked once for Atheros.

Just out of curiosity: Is ath_hal the only 'sourceless' binary in the
NetBSD-Kernel?

Kind regards,

Petar