Subject: Take 2 on detaching live sd devices
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/26/2005 16:46:21
--8NvZYKFJsRX2Djef

Ok, let me try this again.

We have had a very interesting thread, but it is VERY far from what I was=
=20
asking about, and I'd like input on the original question.

The original question is what to do about the fact that in sddetach(), we
call bufq_free() before all activity on the disk has ended. Thus we can=20
enter code paths that expect to be able to use the bufq routines, when=20
they have already gone away.

So somehow or another we have to not do that.

My thought is to do it later in the detach routine. Any objections?

Further, what's the best way to make sure there are no pending operations=
=20
still on the device? While there is a call to scsipi_kill_pending(), it=20
doesn't actually do anything...

Take care,

Bill

--8NvZYKFJsRX2Djef