Subject: Re: WSDISPLAY_SCROLLSUPPORT number of lines adjustment.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/22/2005 14:20:37
On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:45:49PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:37:12PM +0100, Rui Paulo wrote:
> > On 2005.07.15 09:41:22 +0000, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> >  | 	Is there an option to control the number of lines of scroll back?
> >  | On my machine it seems to be limited to only about 5 lines, which is
> >  | mostly useless.  It'd be nice to be able to bump it up a bit.
> >
> > Yes, you can use:
> > 	wsconsctl -d -w scroll.fastlines=XX
> >
> > I think we can add this in the EXAMPLES section of wsconsctl(8) too.
>
> 	well, I finally got around to updating my system to try to get this
> to work.  The command you mentioned seems to work, but I don't see
> the current value in the output of "wsconsctl -a", and trying a
> "wsconsctl scroll.fastlines" says "not found".  wtf?

	well, after reading a bit farther it looks like -a doesn't actually
show all variables, but only the variables for the particular subset
of variables chosen with -k, -m or -d.  That's somewhat confusing.

	Anyway, back to the original problem: scroll.fastlines does not appear
to change the size of the scroll buffer.  Rather, it adjusts how lines
the screen scrolls each time Shift+PageUp/Down is pressed.  That makes a
little more sense wrt the name of the variable.
	Also, it looks like scroll.slowlines does the same thing as fastlines,
but for when the not used "slow" scroll keys are pressed.  I guess you can
set that in the wsconsctl map (and the fastlines keys are changable the
same way).  That's neat, but I wish that was explained in the man page.

	I still don't know how to change the size of the scroll buffer.  There
doesn't seem to be a wsconsctl variable to control that, and a brief
look through the code didn't reveal anything obvious to tweak.  Also, I
noticed that the scroll back buffer gets lost as soon as I switch to a
different screen.  argh!

eric