Subject: Re: [cube@cubidou.net: Re: Moving ethfoo in the main tree]
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2004 12:34:47
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:11:38PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> qemu can work with two network modes.  The internal one (user-mode
> network stack) is rather kludgy, as it is limited to what a user can
> do, and only to some extent.
>
> The tun/tap mode uses a device such as ethfoo which emulates a complete
> Ethernet segment between the host.  It makes it appear as a separate
> computer which, for example, would be linked to the host with a cross-
> over cable.
>
> While I haven't tried it, I don't see anything that could prevent two
> instances of qemu from doing network communication that way, the host
> will server as a router in that situation.

Hm.  That's not quite what's wanted, in a lot of applications.  The
VMware virtual ethernet device, for example, acts like a hub or
switch -- it puts all the endpoints on the _same_ virtual segment.

I suppose it would be possible to do something similar by combining
tap with bridge, but that's a bit messy.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky