Subject: Re: Artec VOM-12E48X has no vendor id
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/19/2004 02:21:07
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, David Laight wrote:

>> These are results of two different commands.  One is the ATA/ATAPI IDENTIFY
>> PACKET DEVICE, and the other is the SCSI INQUIRY.  ATAPI devices typically
>> support both.  (I forget whether that's required.)
>
> Look at the format of the response buffer - I think you'll find that
> they are basically the same.

I'm still confused about how the SCSI interface is invoked for ATAPI
devices, but I can see they're not the same. ATA has a 40-byte "model
number" and 20-byte "serial number". SCSI only gets 8-bytes of "vendor
id" and 16-bytes of "product id". For most CD drives, "model number"
equals "vendor id" plus "product id", and "serial number" is blank,
while at least a few put what I would call the model number in the
serial number field, and leave the "model number" blank. (I was
operating under the mistaken assumption, earlier, that the driver
was presenting the same data differently, rather than the firmware.)

I think the Antec drive must be the first one ever that fails to
return a vendor id. "Antec" is not listed in the registered vendor
id's at www.t10.org. The usual thing would have been to stake a claim
first, and register later. Who knows what they were thinking?

Frederick