Subject: default stacksize ulimit too small?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2003 18:30:58
--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

Hi all,

I've repeatedly run into the situation where the default stacksize
ulimit is too small.  Usually, this happens when I use Sun's 1.4 JDK.
While root can obviously increase the stacksize and work around the
problem, I'm unable to set the ulimit for all users.

Therefore, I had to recompile a new kernel with 'options
DFLSSIZ=3D33554432' and install this new kernel on all of my machines,
requiring a reboot just to bump the stacksize ulimit!

On i386, DFLSSIZ is defined to be (2*1024*1024).  Would it be
possible/reasonable to increase this default value?

-Jan

--=20
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs

--5/uDoXvLw7AC5HRs--