Subject: Re: siginfo, signal queues, memory issues
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2002 11:54:18
christos@zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> 1. Is it ok to queue all the signals, not only the rt ones?

I think this is excessive. Most processes don't use any queued
signals, and if such processes can continue to use the traditional
signal bitset, it will be a memory savings.

> 2. How do we deal with memory shortage situations? Do we put
>    a limit on the size of the signal queue?

It is acceptable to return EAGAIN if a system-wide resource limit has
been reached.

Additionally, there should be per-sender limits (which POSIX says must
be at least 32 entries), and the total queue size should be larger
than this.

        - Nathan