Subject: Re: Kernel support for ELF-format core files
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/21/2002 06:08:01
The original discussion that this refers to took place last December;
I'm catching up on old tech-kern mail on my flight home from LHR->SFO.

A number of years ago, I was driving home from a Lake Tahoe ski trip
when the general utility of ELF versus a.out came up (I ski with a
pretty technical crowd; Stu Grossman was with us). Stu lectured at
length, and mentioned in passing that the Linux people had made the
memory sections of their /proc filesystem into ELF format objects,
and that made interactive debugging of running processes in gdb
(which he was maintaining at the time) much simpler and cleaner,
interface-wise.

Jason, given that the changes described in the original
correspondence have presumably been long since committed, how hard
would it be to also fix up /proc, and would this be worth doing?

	curious,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>