Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
To: None <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/2002 13:35:38
>From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
>To: Gary Thorpe <gat7634@hotmail.com>
>CC: <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>, <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
>Subject: Re: FFS reliability problems
>Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
>
>On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Gary Thorpe wrote:
>
> > Just one question I think is important to the discussion: what about
> > security? If it is possible to recover unlinked files, is there anyway
> > guarantee that this information is NOT recoverable if the user wishes?
>
>If you care that much, have the app overwrite it.
>
>Everything that's been discussed so far would not be standard, and would
>be something you do when you boot into single-user mode. If you don't
>trust whomever is sitting at the console in single-user mode, you have
>bigger security problems that anything in this thread can address. :-)
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill

That sounds simple and appropriate but it does not guarantee that the file's
old data is not recoverable. As hypothesized, the system may crash before
data is written to the disk in the overwrite phase. I am just asking if
something like this is possible to implement and maybe suggestions on how it
would be done?