Subject: Re: Mount option to ignore case
To: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/31/2002 19:03:16
On Aug 21,  3:13am, John Clark wrote:
} Am Sonntag den, 31. März 2002, um 02:18, schrieb John Nemeth:
} > On Jul 16, 12:28pm, Greywolf wrote:
} > }
} > } Um, something I just noticed.  HFS+ filesystems.
} > }
} > } I haven't played with it much in a LONG time, but the last time I did
} > } anything with an HFS filesystem, the '/' character was valid in a
} > } filename.  How did we work around this?
} >
} >      I worked on a system once that had some disks NFS exported to a
} > Mac.  The Mac created a file with a '/' in the name.  That was fun.
} > NOT!  No 'fsdb' either...  That would have made cleaning up the file
} > too simple.
} >
} >      On the flip side, Macs use a ':' for a directory seperator
} > character which, of course, is a perfectly valid character to put in a
} > filename on a UNIX system.  Of course, this means that we could just
} > substitute a ':' for any '/'s in the filename.
}
} The way that I've seen is a mapping of special characters, one way or
} the other. So the Mac side sees '/' but the unix side sees %100 (or
} whatever..)

     This was about ten years ago, so the software was somwhat
primitive by today's standard (i.e. no mapping).

} Also to note, HFS/HFS+ record case, but is not case sensitive, hence
} one can not archive the NetBSD cvs source hierarchy on an HFS volume,
} last time I checked there were about 200 files which differed only by
} case.

     A sweep of the tree was done last year to eliminate these.  So
there shouldn't be any more.

}-- End of excerpt from John Clark