Subject: Re: The devvp branch
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/03/2001 07:59:53
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 07:42:45AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:

 >      I doubt that most people need more then a few bpf devices.
 > However, I was wondering if cloning would apply to network devices,
 > such as ppp, which don't normally show up in /dev?  Also, I assume
 > cloning would apply to pty's, especially SysV style ones?

Heh, on one of my systems, I often using a dozen bpf devices or more
(rarp and dhcp servers listening on several VLANs, plus I occasionaly
want to use tcpdump on said machine).

A different cloning mechanism would apply to ppp.  I haven't made
ppp use ifnet cloning yet, because I'm not entirely satisfied with
how a ppp unit number is chosen when you bind a serial device to a
ppp interface.

And, yes, one of the goals of this cloning code is to implement Unix98
PTYs.