Subject: Re: The devvp branch
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/03/2001 16:43:52
On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 07:42:45AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
>      I doubt that most people need more then a few bpf devices.

True of course, though the point was that there is no need for a static
upper limit from the kernel config file anymore, not that one could
now have thousands of bpf instances..

> However, I was wondering if cloning would apply to network devices,
> such as ppp, which don't normally show up in /dev?  Also, I assume
> cloning would apply to pty's, especially SysV style ones?

Cloning could most certainly apply to SysV style ptys, which aren't
hard to implement once it's in place. It's a much nicer way of dealing
with ptys than having a boatload of device nodes in /dev, which you
all try to open when trying to find a new one.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com
Quality NetBSD CDs, Support & Service.   http://www.wasabisystems.com/