Subject: Re: First snapshot of graphics mode console driver available
To: Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/2001 18:34:57
    Date:        Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:54:39 +0900
    From:        Bang Jun-Young <bjy@mogua.org>

  | I don't think anybody would get bored with 0.5 second delay every 350

I think you missed the point...  It isn't the boredom of the human that
matters, but what the system could otherwise be doing with the CPU time.

That is, I doubt that Ignatios wants a 5 millisecond pause in his 6bone
routing every time the screen decides to scroll a line.

Very often for humans, a bit slower is better (easier to pick up
what is screaming past).   For the computer, it needs to be absurdly
fast, or you get the situation like on the various sparcstations
where you can't afford to leave a system without X running on the
console, or the occasional message zaps all the cpu time (the console
driver is not quick...).

kre