Subject: Re: 'vendor' top-level MIB for sysctl
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/2000 00:45:37
| There was a question from a vendor using NetBSD the other day, who
| was in need of a sysctl MIB for local use. The suggested top-level
| name was 'vendor', to be used only by vendor-extensions to NetBSD.

I don't understand this -- is it only for this vendor?

| The alternative is 'vendor.<vendorname>', but that would mean that
| we'd have to keep the list and register all new names.
|
| Are there any objections to adding the 'vendor' top-level name
| to the sysctl MIBs?

I think it would be best to go with your alternative, and require
vendor OIDs to be registered IANA enterprise numbers, cf.
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/enterprise-numbers
this outsources the registration.

But I'm not an SNMP/OID guru; there might be important SMI-ish
issues that I'm missing. Anyone?

--jhawk