Subject: Re: Logical Volume Managers
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/24/2000 23:02:08
On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> No, gnu/sys was only there to bring soft updates in our tree, while we knew
> that the license changes in a few month (which now happens).
>
> I don't think it was planed to add more gpl drivers via gnu/sys.

Is there a particular reason we shouldn't add more drivers?

Yes, getting a BSD or a dual-use license is better, and we don't want just
any and every driver in the tree. But for code cases, like this one, where
us rolling our own (note: our own which would maintain binary on-disk
compatability), it strikes me as a saner thing to do to just add it to
gnu/sys.

With the obvious caveat that a user could not re-distribute such a kernel
to others legally.

Take care,

Bill