Subject: Re: token ring driver
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@office.emsi.priv.at>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2000 13:35:41
>   I'm using the tr token ring driver quite a bit, and have
> noticed that it sometimes stops working. It seems network
> load related, but that is just an impression. A "ifconfig tr0 down"
> followed by "ifconfig tr0 up" fixes things and makes it work
> again.
>
>   Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Generic network interface driver clue:

If it's a hardware bug, add a watchdog timer to reset the hardware.
(this is sufficiently common that there's support in the interface
driver interface to make this extremely easy to do).

It could also be a race condition in the driver or some such causing
the driver to leave the interface in a state where it stops
interrupting; typically a watchdog handler done correctly will "fix"
this by flushing any queued packets and resetting the hardware..

					- Bill