Subject: Re: tty device names for Cyclades Z
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/02/2000 07:53:45
On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 11:43:49PM +1000, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

 > May not be relevant, but I have an 8port pci card driven by puc.
 > I have:
 >
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,   0 Apr  5 08:01 /dev/tty00
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,   1 Jun  1 08:57 /dev/tty01
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,  10 Feb  4 16:18 /dev/tty010
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,  11 Mar 21 17:40 /dev/tty011
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,   2 Apr  5 08:01 /dev/tty02
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,   4 Oct 20  1998 /dev/tty04
 > crw-rw----  1 uucp    dialer   8,   5 Jun  2 23:19 /dev/tty05
 > crw-rw----  1 uucp    dialer   8,   6 Oct  6  1999 /dev/tty06
 > crw-rw----  1 uucp    dialer   8,   7 May 24 10:38 /dev/tty07
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,   8 Apr 29 15:43 /dev/tty08
 > crw-------  1 uucp    wheel    8,   9 May  4 11:21 /dev/tty09
 >
 > the 010 and 011 suck a little... but their are only used for
 > rtty console connections to other boxes so no big deal.

So, the Alpha port calls the `com' serial ports "ttyCn".  I would like
to change the i386 port to do the same (and change the current i386 port
usage of "ttyCn" for Cyclades-Y to "ttyCYnn".

Using "ttyZn" for the Cyclades-Z is a lose because eventually I would
like the i386 port to support Zilog serial chips, where "ttyZn" is a
more natural fit.

We should just bite the bullet and make tty names for the same serial
driver common across ports with better descriptive names, leave some
compat names around for a while, but actually handle longer tty names.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>