Subject: Re: buf/msdosfs problem
To: Jeff Roberson <nomad@nop.aliensystems.com>
From: None <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/2000 14:52:06
On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 11:05:01AM -0800, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> I can't provide any more information as to what is actually wrong, but I
> can tell you that msdosfs doesn't work on either of my alphas in 1.4.1.  I
> can mount floppies, but if I copy a file from the floppy it gets
> corrupted.  Also if I copy a file to the floppy I get argument list too
> long.  This hindered me from using a digital camera which uses floppies
> until I discovered that it works alright on my old sparc.  I don't know if
> the issues are related, but it seems suspicious to me that it works on
> x86, and sparc (both 32 bit), but it breaks on my alpha (64 bit).  I also
> noticed considerable odities with multiple directories on my x86 machine
> some time ago, but I can't remember what exactly went wrong, and the
> machine is long gone by now.
	I don't know about alpha (haven't had mine up and running for awhile)
but I ran into some serious lossage accessing msdos filesystems when running
the comdex snapshot.  I believe that's around 1.4.1+.  (ended up completely
trashing the filesystem)  However, I've been using msdosfs with -current
without any problems.

> > From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
> > I'm investigating strange issue I have with msdosfs. Basically,
> > when a file of "proper" size was copied to directory deep on
> > filesystem (say /dos/b/c/), that directory suddenly appeared to be
> > same as root directory - ls /dos/b/c/ was same as ls /dos. /dos/b/c/.
	Do you get this problem on any msdos filesystem?  i.e. if you
newfs_msdos a floppy can you reproduce it?  info point: 1.4S doesn't
seem to have this problem for me.

eric