Subject: Re: Cheesy compression/decompression in filesystem namespace (was Re: New read & write syscalls)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@hal.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/1999 13:54:55
On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 12:45:36PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Andrew Brown wrote:
> > how trivial would it be to modify ftp to omit the normal output it
> > gives regarding status (for both ftp (the messages is gives are
> > usually a little long anyway) and http) and instead to spit the
> > downloaded file to stdout?  presto!  instant 8 bit clean http!
>
> ftp -Vo - http://rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de/~feyrer/

  Cool!  So, here are the rules, according to my work-in-progress syntax:
##  Format:
##  prefix	portal_module	prefix-2-strip	cmd	additional-arguments
##  Don't strip for http:// or ftp://
http://		rfilter		no_strip_needed	ftp	-Vo -
ftp://		rfilter		no_strip_needed	ftp	-Vo -

  I tried them out, and they work!

  I'll try to check in my stuff in the next few days.  If people
want to volunteer to play with it and torture-test it, mail me
privately.

  Brian