Subject: Re: New read & write syscalls
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/1999 09:35:21
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Eduardo E. Horvath wrote:

> Is there some reason you couldn't do this by simply bypassing the upper
> layer filesystem that implements the "standard" semantics and operating
> directly on the data in the lower filesystem?

Because I don't want ANYONE messing with the raw underlying layer. I don't
want the administrators having access lest they get in the habbit of
"fixing" things. Our system really needs to track file creation &
deletion, so I want to lock everything off.

Konrad recently mentioned changing nullfs to permit self-overmounting.
We'll probably do something like that with our system. Given this
structuring, the restore daemon can't get at the underlying layer. :-)

Take care,

Bill