Subject: sys/lib/libsa: Cleanup and making stuff "smaller".
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/1999 17:58:39
Both Jonathan and myself have been looking at reducing the doubled up
functionality that the pmax port has been duplicating in it's own libsa.
One of the big offenders is ufs.c.  To get this to work on the pmax, we
need to disable symlink handling and we also don't have the ufs_close()
routine or the ufs_write() stub.  I was looking too adding a NO_SYMLINK
#ifdef for the symlink case, and a REALLY_SMALL #ifdef for the second
case.  Any objections (or suggestions for better names :-)?

On the subject of cleanup, there's still references to bcopy/bzero in
sys/lib/libsa and not memcpy/memset.  On the pmax, we don't have bcopy
and bzero any more in libsa.  Do all other ports have memcpy and memset
available?  It's not easy to tell just at a glance.  Of course I could
just change it, but some people my not be happy with this...

Before anyone jumps up and down and says "go to 2 stage bootblocks!"
(Jason included ;), we are moving toward this but are still aiming to
have stage 1 live within the currently available bootblock space without
resorting to some ugly nasty installboot-hack type scheme.

Simon.