Subject: Re: PCI I/O address allocation
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/1998 21:51:54
>>> True enough, but the OpenBIOS project folks are going to get around to
>>> tackling it sooner or later. Their URL went by on SlashDot a few days ago.
>>
>> Dear me... you mean they're not just going to do a free OpenFirmware
>> implementation?!  That's really what they ought to do...
>
> They may be unaware of openfirmware. Someone ought to spread the
> gospel to them.

They are aware of OpenFirmware. So far I have not seen any serious evidence
that they intend to be compatible with it. It looks more like they plan to
provide a modern-technology BIOSKit and create a community around it. Also
there has been some noise about simply eliminating BIOS calls entirely, and
integrating LILO (for starters) into the firmware itself.

I like the direction their project is going. The classic firmware model
used by OpenFirmware has fundamental limitations and with all the overhead
of using OpenFirmware, you're better off simply rearchitecting that whole
layer of the system.

In any case, they should produce a lot of reusable technology.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com