Subject: Re: NetBSD system use characterization and scheduling
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/1998 08:36:12
On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 02:55:21PM -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:

> There are more than enough applications that need guaranteed response time
> or guaranteed CPU slices that we ought to put in some minimal scheduling
> support for them. However, that doesn't mean we have to abandon the
> existing time-sharing scheduler - we just need to make the system scheduler
> a selectable module, depending upon the system behavior desired.

Maybe that too, but how about having two schedulers simultaneously: One
simple scheduler to run the real-time stuff (or semi-real-time, whatever)
and when there are no such processes ready to run (or they have used up
too much time recently), the normal scheduler would run normal processes.
Something like creating a new level of things between interrupts and
processes.

  -jm