Subject: Re: how to change swapctl() interface.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/27/1998 22:47:50
[ On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 12:03:06 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: how to change swapctl() interface.
>
> plus one for the null.  a 1024 byte pathname (imho, quite excessive)
> would look like a block of text (assuming you're using a "normal"
> 80x24 window/screen) that would half fill your screen.  doesn't
> exactly strike me as useful.  104 should be quite sufficient.

"normal"?????  I think not.  Even my vt101 does 132 columns, and yes it
got used in that way an *awful* lot of the time.  My current console is
an ATT605 in 132 column mode.  These days I won't use a screen that
won't display more than 100 readable characters (and still have room for
a 26-char 'xclock -digital' if it's running X11).

The bare minimum for such an allocation would seem to be 256 bytes, or
so, but clearly it's possible to know the actual size of the pathname
when the path is first referenced, so as others have said, why not
malloc() only the necessary amount of space?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>