Subject: Re: further vm adventures
To: None <jiho@postal.c-zone.net>
From: John S. Dyson <dyson@freebsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/04/1998 00:43:03
jiho@postal.c-zone.net said:

> With NetBSD 1.2, I independently arrived at a patch that is very similar to what
> FreeBSD will have, except mine is more primitive and still ignores the forked
> and swapped cases.  It works fine with X now, though (something else I did
> earlier was tripping the X server up, not this patch), and does fix the problem
> with X very handily.  I've even turned backing store on!  Much better!

The fix that I created using a new function called vm_map_split is probably
not our final solution.  I was just chatting with Alan Cox (from Rice
University), and he had another interesting approach, that might be cleaner
(and have less impact) than mine.  It is possible that I'll implement his
idea before 3.0.  (However, there are alot more pressing issues and
important capabilities that are being worked on and added.)  So, since
the vm_map_split is probably good enough, Alan's ideas will probably
be coming out in 3.1.