Subject: Re: Stale NFS file handle
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/1998 13:35:10
According to Frank van der Linden:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 07:58:42PM +0200, Lucio de Re wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > 	<filename>: Stale NFS file handle
> >
> > [ ... ]
>
> In normal operation, this error can occur when a client uses a handle
> that is no longer valid, usually because the file it references
> has been removed on the server.

I've done some digging, and at least ascertained that the NFS server in
Plan 9 generates the error stale handle condition.  However, this is
caused by the RPC credentials for the client having a zero length
machine name, and I'm not sure how to address this aspect of the
problem.  I am expecting some replies from the Plan 9 fans mailing
list, but it seems that NetBSD opinion should be consulted as well.

The RPC rfc (1057 - June 1988 :-)  does not seem to prohibit this
behaviour, so I'd like to hear from the implementers whether there is
any mechanism to work around it.

As a second gripe, I note that mount_nfs in versions 1.2.1 and 1.3
assumes (understandably) a version 3 NFS server.  The Plan 9 server is
version 2 and this caused the mount never to succeed.  Something seems
ripe for correction in this: either the portmapper on the other side
somehow responds with a demoted version (I think the RPC rfc forbids
this) or the mount client takes it upon itself to demote its request.
The -2 and -3 options can then be treated as obligatory.  This was my
assumption of mount_nfs's behaviour, but it seems my assumption was
mitstaken.
--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.