Subject: portal filesystem
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/1997 17:12:06
First, is anyone actually using portals for anything useful ?

I've been looking at it and find some aspects of it attractive, but there
are a number of things which I'd like to see it handle, including:

- tcplisten
	problems with this are discussed in the paper but I'm more
	interested in using it for one off's such as opening
	/p/tcplisten/0.0.0.0/smtp

- controlled access
	I'd ideally like to be able to pre-create dirctories and/or
	files under /p and have the portal use those to determine if
	access should or should not be granted.  This would allow you
	to create /p/tcplisten/0.0.0.0/smtp owned by uucp, mode 700.

I'm in a bit of a dither about how to actually go about the second.

Other comments on the portal filesystem are most welcome.

Thanks,
Darren