Subject: RE: HSM deisgn goals was: RE: HSM implementation proposal
To: 'tech-kern@netbsd.org' <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Evans <paule@martex.gen.oh.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/08/1997 09:19:08
Hello again,

I rather fancy that nothing is going to come of a proposed complete HSM. =
I'd like to see it happen in the long term though.

Toward this goal, can we agree on an intermin framework that's growable =
to support things like "registries" when the time comes? ("if" the time =
comes)

In the mean time, an optional extended security sub-subsystem and =
perhaps some user--mode/kernel file system hooks are enough?

Is this a an agreeable path, I'd like to volunteer some effort to get it =
done. I'm picturing a simple "/dev/security" and assocated "security =
manager" daemon. I think this apporach would for the time being make a =
good starting point as we can merge apporate things back to the kernel =
when the time comes.

In the intermin, the kernel would consult the secuirty manager, with a =
UID and inode, and get back a yes-no/read-write-exec reply.

As for "user-mode/kernel file system hooks" I'm referring to the ability =
to load a VFS passthough FS/filter on a per-user basis. A "mount =
/home/me/myfile /home/me/mymnt" Making the union/null stuff work like =
this would be a good start IMHO. (I'm assuming the mount mechinism needs =
work for this (?) or maybe this is more in the realm of the vnode =
driver?)

Am I speaking sense? (Sorry if anyone feels I'm being slightly =
presumtous, let's call it eagerness ;)

thanks.

	-Paul