Subject: Re: proposal for non-512 bytes/sector block device
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/1997 10:48:45
>Tape devices are a different story- but they are handled differently
>anyhow. I can't think of a set of commonly available devices that
>would make or break the notion of having systemwide variable sector
>size support. From a formal point of view, this does have appeal,
>but from a practical engineering point of view I'm not sure that the
>amount of breakage and turmoil is worth it.

Remeber that not all devices want to work with convenient, multiple
of DEV_BSIZE, chunks of data.  Audio CDs come to mind and the worm
driver in FreeBSD currently goes through some rather ugly contorsions
in order to allow you to write 2352 bytes at a time.  I have no
idea what the DVD formats look like, but I would expect that more
problems like this one will crop up with future devices.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations