Re: Looking ahead

On 6/7/07, Allen Briggs <briggs%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
OK.  Thanks for that definition.  I would actually have divided it a
little differently.  I tend to think of sort of four different types:

        1) Devices with a network connection for control (perhaps
           a weather station or similar)
        2) Devices that want to move a lot of data (perhaps a
           NAS device),
        3) Devices that need to route / bridge networks (perhaps
           a wireless access point), and
        4) Infrastructure types of devices.

Especially with #2 - #4, there are a bunch of different sizes of
devices with a number of different protocol needs.  And the boundaries
are certainly blurred in some cases--especially #2 & #3.  In general,
I think there's probably a reasonable need for:

        1) ARP/IP/ICMP/UDP/TCP (& maybe IPV6/ICMP6 soon?)
        2) 1 + IPSec
        3) 1 + filtering & routing
        4) 1 + policy routing

And various combinations.  Which is kind of what we have now with
options, but with the options stripped, our stack is not really
"tiny"--although perhaps better when routing is ripped out.

I agree. It's a matter of definition. I'm pretty sure the networking
guys can give more accurate estimations what can and can not be done.

That's a LOT of stuff.  I think it would be best for folks who are
more familiar with that space to suggest a path for which protocols
make sense for various applications.  I don't see a need to be fully
FLAC (Four-Letter Acronym Compliant).

I'm not suggesting to implement all of the above. This was more like a
reference. OSLD, AODV and may be several others should be enough for
most users.

Again, are there existing designs for sensor / control that would
make sense to implement or adopt?  Or is this a case where there's
a void and you're suggesting that it be filled?  Do you have interest
in looking into this?

From me, it's just a suggestion. I think this is still void area where
work can be done. I'm not aware of any implementations or standards.
However, such may exist. I'm currently working on a SoC project plus
several other projects of my own so i won't have time to research on
this for at least 2 more months.

Thanks again for the informative reply,

It's always a pleasure to help if possible :)

-allen

--
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a
genius to understand the simplicity." Dennis Ritchie